Subject: Re: [bug#31969] [PATCH] bootloader: grub-efi: Identify as "GuixSD" instead of "grub".
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:05:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/bootloader/grub.scm (install-grub-efi): Pass "--bootloader-id" to grub-install.
>> ---
>>  gnu/bootloader/grub.scm | 1 +
>>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>>
>> diff --git a/gnu/bootloader/grub.scm b/gnu/bootloader/grub.scm
>> index 8f45995ca..538ddc37a 100644
>> --- a/gnu/bootloader/grub.scm
>> +++ b/gnu/bootloader/grub.scm
>> @@ -403,6 +403,7 @@ submenu \"GNU system, old configurations...\" {~%")
>>          ;; root partition.
>>          (setenv "GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK" "y")
>>          (unless (zero? (system* grub-install "--boot-directory" install-dir
>> +                                "--bootloader-id=GuixSD"
>
> What does it do?  I can’t even find it in the manual.

UEFI firmwares contain a list of boot entries that looks roughly like
"foo: uuid,partnum,/path/to/loader".  Try `efibootmgr -v` on an EFI
system for a more practical example.

If nothing is specified, GRUB will identify as "grub".  With this patch,
when you look through the possible boot entries in UEFI, there will be
no doubt which one is GuixSD :-)

However there is one other practical consequence: the GRUB EFI blob will
now be installed to "/boot/efi/EFI/GuixSD/grubx64.efi".  So current UEFI
GuixSD users will have a stale "/boot/efi/EFI/grub" folder that is no
longer needed.

> Otherwise no objections from me.

Great, I'll push this shortly.