Subject: Re: bug#3101: 23.0.92; Emacs manual, node Tags
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:23:34 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:36:31 -0700
> Cc: 
> 
> The first sentence of this node doesn't sound right to me. At least
> it's not clear what is meant.
>  
>   "A "tags table" is a description of how a multi-file
>    program is broken up into files."
>  
> A multi-file program? What program would that be? There is no further
> mention of this.  I don't understand this sentence, and I cannot
> imagine how it describes what a tags table is.

I changed this to

    A @dfn{tags table} is a description of how program's sources are
  broken up into individual source files.

I hope this is more clear.

> Also confusing is the part that starts "When a file parsed by `etags'
> is generated from a different source file, like a C file generated
> from a Cweb source file,..." To understand this (and I don't), a
> reader needs to already understand what `etags' is and what its
> parsing amounts to, and s?he needs to know what Cweb is (I don't). Not
> to mention that it is mysterious what is meant by "a different source
> file" - different from what?

The text reads now

    Each entry in the tags table records the name of a tag, the name of
  the file that the tag is defined in (implicitly), and the position in
  that file of the tag's definition.  If the file is a generated file,
  its tags reference the originating source file.  Examples of generated
  files include C files generated from Cweb source files or from a Yacc
  parser or Lex scanner definitions, @file{.i} preprocessed C files, and
  Fortran files produced by preprocessing @file{.fpp} source files.

OK?