Subject: Re: bug#30718: coreutils-8.29 compilation failure using xlC on AIX
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: John Wiersba <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:21:12 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 03/05/2018 04:01 PM, John Wiersba wrote:
> As an additional comment, it took me quite a while to find working 
> values for
> CFLAGS, AR, and LDFLAGS.  I'm not sure how you might accomplish it, 
> but it would be
> friendlier if, once it's determined that gcc is not available and xlC 
> is available,
> a reasonable set of default options were supplied, so that every user 
> of xlC doesn't
> have to rediscover some set defaults which allow the build to succeed.
>
> Finally, I'm attaching the test-suite.log indicating a couple of 
> failures and a few errors.

No, sorry, I missed both of those. I'll reopen the bug report. These all 
sound like they're lower priority, though.