Subject: 24.5; Emacsclient, Tramp and quote character in file name
From: Sascha Ziemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:26:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following command

    echo quote > /tmp/\"
    emacsclient /sudo::/tmp/\"

produces the following error message:

    *ERROR*: Args out of range: [], 1

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12 on hullmann, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs24-24.5+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-PIE' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -no-pie''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
(New file)

Tramp: Checking `vc-registered' for /sudo:root@debian:/tmp/\"...done
(New file)
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
exchange-point-and-mark: No mark set in this buffer
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list...
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils apropos pp tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec advice conf-mode server help-mode help-fns cus-edit
easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib sh-script smie
executable time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 137363 26075)
 (symbols 48 22826 0)
 (miscs 40 151 525)
 (strings 32 28912 10117)
 (string-bytes 1 792526)
 (vectors 16 23344)
 (vector-slots 8 1344970 100897)
 (floats 8 714 790)
 (intervals 56 1044 772)
 (buffers 960 24))