Subject: pull fails with 'no code for module (guix build compile)'
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:46:09 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Running `guix pull` from commit 1a6497dee43e7469040a6eb9dab101f6fc764eca
on a foreign distro, it fails like this:

$ guix pull
Updating from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from Git commit 1a6497dee43e7469040a6eb9dab101f6fc764eca...
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/wkvl6zrv8ffmn49wbj9bf97i0nd11i62-guix-latest.drv
   /gnu/store/0k9dzg6sv0sfab1y64s6kqwhvx5sf2zg-module-import-compiled.drv
Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    849:4 19 (with-throw-handler _ _ _)
In system/base/compile.scm:
    59:11 18 (_)
   155:11 17 (_ #<closed: file 70a380>)
   235:18 16 (read-and-compile #<input: ./guix/build/pull.scm 8> # _ ?)
   183:32 15 (compile-fold (#<procedure compile-tree-il (x e opts)>) ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   2316:4 14 (save-module-excursion _)
In language/scheme/compile-tree-il.scm:
    31:15 13 (_)
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
  1234:36 12 (expand-top-sequence _ _ _ #f _ _ _)
  1181:24 11 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
   284:10 10 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (# #) #)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   293:34  9 (_ #<module (#{ g62}#) 100a500>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   2866:4  8 (define-module* _ #:filename _ #:pure _ #:version _ # _ ?)
  2075:24  7 (call-with-deferred-observers _)
  2879:24  6 (_)
   230:29  5 (map1 (((guix modules)) ((guix build utils)) ((# # ?)) ?))
   230:29  4 (map1 (((guix build utils)) ((guix build compile)) (#) ?))
   230:17  3 (map1 (((guix build compile)) ((ice-9 ftw)) ((# #)) # ?))
   2795:6  2 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ ?)
In unknown file:
           1 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu?" ?) ?)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   760:25  0 (dispatch-exception _ _ _)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:760:25: In procedure dispatch-exception:
ice-9/boot-9.scm:760:25: no code for module (guix build compile)

Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
builder for `/gnu/store/0k9dzg6sv0sfab1y64s6kqwhvx5sf2zg-module-import-compiled.drv' failed with exit code 1
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/wkvl6zrv8ffmn49wbj9bf97i0nd11i62-guix-latest.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/wkvl6zrv8ffmn49wbj9bf97i0nd11i62-guix-latest.drv' failed