Subject: Re: bug#27467: Xfce broken, because it propagates two different versions of gtk+
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:12:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> What do you think of the attached patches?  The first makes libxfce4ui
>> only propagate the latest gtk+, so I added gtk+-2 where needed.  The
>> second removes “exo” from the “xfce” meta-package, because it doesn’t
>> seem needed.  “exo” propagates “gtk+-2”, so it would be hard to prevent
>> the conflict otherwise.
>>
>> These patches are only a temporary fix until we can find a way to mark
>> certain conflicts as unproblematic.
>
> These patches seem reasonable to me.
>
> Another option (perhaps slightly less intrusive) would be to implement
> the ‘xfce’ meta-package using ‘union-build’ instead of
> ‘propagated-inputs’.

Yes, that’s better.  I pushed two commits:

  gnu: libxfce4ui: Do not propagate gtk+-2.
  (b8d3a000efca885180277358caa3c4fe604168a5)

  gnu: xfce: Build union instead of propagating inputs.
  (c860d6ef235b47ec8181fbf390e0b42fbc95dcfe)

With these two commits I can install xfce without problems.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net