Subject: Re: bug#26892: 25.2; whitespace-mode does not turn off correctly
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 15:27:52 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 12:26:14 +1200
> 
> I've written a new test and confirmed it catches this problem. I also
> tweaked the original patch to handle another instance of the same bug.
> 
> Patches for whitespace.el and whitespace-tests.el are attached.

Thanks, pushed.

A couple of notes, for the future:

 . The test at first failed for me, and needed some tweaking, because
   whitespace-mode refuses to turn on in batch mode.  I guess you ran
   the tests in interactive mode?  You should run tests in batch.

 . The patch was not applicable without manual editing, because it
   used file names like whitespace-a.el, which don't exist.  Please in
   the future submit patches produced against the correct file names,
   preferably with "git diff" or somesuch.

 . Please include with the patch a ChangeLog-style commit log message
   (see CONTRIBUTE for details).

 . Finally, this contribution exhausts the amount of changes we can
   accept from you without legal paperwork, so I encourage you to
   start the paperwork rolling, for us to be able to accept your
   future contributions.  (I can send you the forms off-list if you
   want.)

Thanks again for working on this.