Subject: qemu looks for smbd at /usr/sbin
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 12:26:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Qemu comes with support for sharing files with a guest via Samba.  This
is done by appending something like this to the qemu-system-*
invocation:

    … -net user,smb=$HOME/Downloads -net nic

Qemu needs to be told *at configure time* where the smbd executable will
be at runtime.  By default this is /usr/sbin/smbd.  Users can work
around this problem by installing the “samba” package and creating a
link from /usr/sbin/smbd to the actual executable.

It would be better to fix this, but this would require adding samba as a
dependency to Qemu, so that the location can be set at configure time.
Alternatively, we could patch Qemu to look for smbd depending on an
environment variable.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net