Subject: Re: bug#26347: patch for mwheel.el
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 16:35:40 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:56:38 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
> 
> Please revise words and phrases as you wish.

Thanks, pushed, and I'm marking the bug done.  See below for some
comments for your future contributions.

> On info revision, I also put a recipe to scroll less.  Please
> discard the part if that should be done by different process.

Done.  This is an unrelated change.

> # ChangeLog
> 
> Support scrolling by tiling wheel
> 
> Scroll right and left using wheel-right and wheel-left; This revision
> also makes use of touchpad and trackpad (Bug#26347).

This should be a single line no longer than 70 characters.  Additional
lines can some after that, separated from the summary line by a blank
line.

> * doc/emacs/frames.texi (Mouse Commands): Document the change and recipe of scroll less

This should end in a period, and be at most 70 characters.  Please use
"C-x 4 a" to format the message correctly.

> * lisp/mwheel.el (mwheel-scroll): Respond to wheel-right and wheel-left
> * lisp/mwheel.el (mwheel-tilt-scroll-p): Enable tilt scrolling

Log entries pertaining to the same source file should state the file
only once, like this:

* lisp/mwheel.el (mwheel-scroll): Respond to wheel-right and wheel-left.
(wheel-tilt-scroll-p): Enable tilt scrolling.

> # NEWS
> 
> ** Emacs can scroll horizontally using mouse, touchpad, and trackbar.
> You can start scrolling by customizing `mwheel-tilt-scroll-p'.  When
> direction of scroll is opposite, customize `mwheel-flip-direction'.

We use quoting 'like this' in NEWS.

> --- doc/emacs/frames.texi 2017-04-12 08:09:52.565691400 +0900
> +++ doc/emacs/frames-b.texi 2017-04-12 08:16:45.075204400 +0900

It is best to send patches by invoking "git diff" or "git format-patch".

> +Emacs also supports horizontal scrolling by tilting ``wheel''.  The

There's no need to take ``wheel'' in quotes more than once, when it is
first mentioned.  (It is quoted, because it's not a real wheel.)  You
can see that the existing text only quotes it once.

> +variables @code{mwheel-tilt-scroll-p} turns the feature on.  When
> +direction is opposite as you wish, turn the variable
> +@code{mwheel-flip-direction} on.

User variables should be indexed by using @vindex.

> +(defcustom mwheel-tilt-scroll-p nil
> +  "Enable scroll using tilting mouse wheel."
> +  :group 'mouse
> +  :type 'boolean)

Defcustoms should have the :version tag stating the Emacs release
where they were first introduced, in this case 26.1.

I also made some of your defcustoms defvars, as I think there are too
many customizable variables in the patch.

Thanks again for working on this.