Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Use '@' to separate name, version in package-full-name
From: Alex Sassmannshausen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Alex Sassmannshausen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:25:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Currently, when `guix refresh -l` is used, package names are emitted with a
'-' separator.

This means the output from guix refresh -l cannot be used to issue guix
commands.  This patch addresses the issue by adding an optional parameter
`for-ui` to `package-full-name`, which, when passed, results in package names
being emitted with the '@' separator.

There are several other approaches that could be taken:

* change the behaviour of package-full-name by default to use '@'.  This would
  result in significant semantic changes in different places in Guix, where
  '-' is expected.

* Don't use package-full-name in guix refresh -l's `list-dependents`.  Instead
  just emit the package name, not the full name, or manually concatenate name
  '@' version.

I prefer adding the optional parameter to full-name as `package-full-name` is
used in different places for emitting UI package names, and we probably want
to switch all of those to the '@' semantics over time.

WDYT?

Alex

Alex Sassmannshausen (1):
  packages: Add optional `for-ui` param to `package-full-name`.

 guix/packages.scm        | 9 +++++----
 guix/scripts/refresh.scm | 6 +++---
 tests/packages.scm       | 4 ++++
 3 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

-- 
2.12.1