Subject: Guix in foreign distributions: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS causes user session to not start
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]>
To: Relatórios de falhas do Guix e GuixSD <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:24:13 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* Steps to reproduce

1. Edit "~/.profile" and add:

export GUIX_PROFILE="${HOME}/.guix-profile"
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${GUIX_PROFILE}/share${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"

2. Log out and try to log in again.

* Current behavior

The *host's* GNOME Flashback session (gnome-session
--session=gnome-flashback) attempts to start, however, it's aborted
shortly after successful log-in.

"~/.xsession-errors" file shows something similar to:

# Begin of file
gnome-session: GLib-GIO-ERROR: Settings schema
'org.gnome.SessionManager' is not installed.

aborting...
# End of file

* Additional information

- In this case, I'm using Trisquel 7.
- `gnome-session` command is provided by the
  "gnome-session-bin", version 3.9.90-0ubuntu12.1+7.0trisquel2.
- Display manager is lightdm (Trisquel 7's default), version
  1.10.6-0ubuntu1+7.0trisquel1.
- Being a "~/.profile" setting, the problem is not found unless the user
- logs-out and back in.

* Personal comment

This might become a problem if Guix starts suggesting people to
customize $XDG_DATA_DIRS in their "~/.profile".

Respectfully, Adonay.
-- 
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre, por isso não uso. Iguais a ele prefiro
  Ring, ou Tox. Quer outras formas de contato? Adicione o vCard que
  está no endereço acima aos teus contatos.
- Pretende me enviar arquivos .doc, .ppt, .cdr, ou .mp3? OK, eu
  aceito, mas não repasso. Entrego apenas em formatos favoráveis ao
  /software/ livre. Favor entrar em contato em caso de dúvida.
- "People said I should accept the world. Bullshit! I don't accept the
  world."
                                                 --- Richard Stallman