Subject: 26.0.50; ffap-other-window should not change window configuration when not displaying a buffer
From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:57:13 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Insert some URL, e.g. "http://www.gnu.org".
Move point inside the URL.
M-x load-library RET ffap RET
M-x ffap-other-window RET RET
The URL is now opened in the default browser, as expected.  However, the
window is also split, even if the default browser is external (not
EWW).  ffap-other-window should not change the window configuration
unless it has to display a buffer.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.25 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2017-01-04 built on unknown
Repository revision: 44c588a25ce231ce05fb535cd6d7162e91214f45
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Loading ffap...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --enable-checking
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils browse-url url-util
url-handlers ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv eieio-core
cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib password-cache
url-vars time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108530 9458)
 (symbols 48 21129 1)
 (miscs 40 350 192)
 (strings 32 21442 4660)
 (string-bytes 1 687435)
 (vectors 16 16174)
 (vector-slots 8 493808 4095)
 (floats 8 218 41)
 (intervals 56 227 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 38629 920))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.