Subject: Re: bug#24920: 24.5; Error on customize-update-all
From: Frank Roland <[email-masked]>
To: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:00:30 +0100

Running "M-x customize-option Tex-auto-global" works fine. However, it
throws an error if I hit "Save for future sessions":
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  file-name-directory(nil)
  (expand-file-name "../var/auctex" (file-name-directory load-file-name))
  eval((expand-file-name "../var/auctex" (file-name-directory load-file-name)))
  custom-push-theme(theme-value TeX-auto-global user set
"d:/home/.emacs.d/var/auctex")
  custom-variable-mark-to-save((custom-variable :documentation-shown t
:custom-state changed :tag "Tex Auto Global" :value TeX-auto-global
:custom-form edit :custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :parent #0
:indent 0 :children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this
item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix
:button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #1 :indent 0
:button-overlay #<overlay from 395 to 402 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 395 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 402 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
392 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 479 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons nil :value nil) :buttons
((custom-group-link :args nil :value TeX-file :tag "Tex File" :parent
#0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 700 to 708 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
700 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 708 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Directory containing automatically generated
information.\nMust end with a directory separator.\n\nFor storing
automatic extracted information about the TeX macros\nshared by all
users of a site." :indent 3 :visibility-widget custom-visibility
:parent #0 :doc-overlay #<overlay from 545 to 690 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons ((custom-visibility :args nil
:value t :help-echo "Show or hide rest of the documentation." :on
"Hide" :off "More" :always-active t :action widget-parent-action
:parent #2 :indent 3 :button-overlay #<overlay from 540 to 544 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 540 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker
at 544 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 479 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to
#<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-magic
:args (nil) :parent #0 :indent 0 :children ((choice-item :help-echo
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State "
:parent #2 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 395 to 402 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 395 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker
at 402 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 392 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to
#<marker at 479 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons nil
:value nil) (item :args nil :value "Tex Auto Global" :format "%{%t%}:"
:action custom-tag-action :help-echo "Change value of this option."
:mouse-down-action custom-tag-mouse-down-action :button-face
custom-variable-button :sample-face custom-variable-tag :parent #0
:indent 0 :sample-overlay #<overlay from 347 to 362 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
347 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 363 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-visibility :args nil
:value t :help-echo "Hide or show this option." :on "Hide" :off "Show"
:on-glyph "down" :off-glyph "right" :action
custom-toggle-hide-variable :parent #0 :indent 0 :suppress-face t
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 346 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 346 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :documentation-indent 3 :comment-widget
(custom-comment :parent #0 :value "" :indent 0 :from #<marker at 691
in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 691 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) :children ((directory :format "
%v" :value "d:/home/.emacs.d/var/auctex" :parent #0 :indent 0
:field-overlay #<overlay from 364 to 391 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 363 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 392 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-comment :parent #0 :value ""
:indent 0 :from #<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto
Global*> :to #<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>))
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Option:
Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 709 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto
Global*> :comment-shown nil))
  widget-apply((custom-variable :documentation-shown t :custom-state
changed :tag "Tex Auto Global" :value TeX-auto-global :custom-form
edit :custom-magic (custom-magic :args (nil) :parent #0 :indent 0
:children ((choice-item :help-echo "Change the state of this item."
:format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix widget-push-button-prefix
:button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix :mouse-down-action
widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State " :parent #1 :indent 0
:button-overlay #<overlay from 395 to 402 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 395 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 402 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
392 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 479 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons nil :value nil) :buttons
((custom-group-link :args nil :value TeX-file :tag "Tex File" :parent
#0 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 700 to 708 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
700 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 708 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (documentation-string :args nil
:value "Directory containing automatically generated
information.\nMust end with a directory separator.\n\nFor storing
automatic extracted information about the TeX macros\nshared by all
users of a site." :indent 3 :visibility-widget custom-visibility
:parent #0 :doc-overlay #<overlay from 545 to 690 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons ((custom-visibility :args nil
:value t :help-echo "Show or hide rest of the documentation." :on
"Hide" :off "More" :always-active t :action widget-parent-action
:parent #2 :indent 3 :button-overlay #<overlay from 540 to 544 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 540 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker
at 544 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 479 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to
#<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-magic
:args (nil) :parent #0 :indent 0 :children ((choice-item :help-echo
"Change the state of this item." :format "%[%t%]" :button-prefix
widget-push-button-prefix :button-suffix widget-push-button-suffix
:mouse-down-action widget-magic-mouse-down-action :tag " State "
:parent #2 :indent 0 :button-overlay #<overlay from 395 to 402 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after
insertion) at 395 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker
at 402 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :from #<marker (moves
after insertion) at 392 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to
#<marker at 479 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :buttons nil
:value nil) (item :args nil :value "Tex Auto Global" :format "%{%t%}:"
:action custom-tag-action :help-echo "Change value of this option."
:mouse-down-action custom-tag-mouse-down-action :button-face
custom-variable-button :sample-face custom-variable-tag :parent #0
:indent 0 :sample-overlay #<overlay from 347 to 362 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at
347 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 363 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-visibility :args nil
:value t :help-echo "Hide or show this option." :on "Hide" :off "Show"
:on-glyph "down" :off-glyph "right" :action
custom-toggle-hide-variable :parent #0 :indent 0 :suppress-face t
:button-overlay #<overlay from 342 to 346 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 346 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>)) :documentation-indent 3 :comment-widget
(custom-comment :parent #0 :value "" :indent 0 :from #<marker at 691
in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 691 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>) :children ((directory :format "
%v" :value "d:/home/.emacs.d/var/auctex" :parent #0 :indent 0
:field-overlay #<overlay from 364 to 391 in *Customize Option: Tex
Auto Global*> :from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 363 in
*Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 392 in *Customize
Option: Tex Auto Global*>) (custom-comment :parent #0 :value ""
:indent 0 :from #<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto
Global*> :to #<marker at 691 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto Global*>))
:from #<marker (moves after insertion) at 342 in *Customize Option:
Tex Auto Global*> :to #<marker at 709 in *Customize Option: Tex Auto
Global*> :comment-shown nil) :custom-mark-to-save)
  #[257 "\300 \301\"\302>\205