Subject: Re: bug#24916: Followup to AR=ar issues
From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Campbell <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:26:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 24916 notabug
thanks

On 11/10/2016 01:36 AM, Paul Campbell wrote:
> I'm an OpenWRT user - which builds just about everything as cross tools - lots 
> of systems don't do AR and RANLIB paths correctly .... and it's not really 
> been a problem until recently ....
> 
> I'm also an Ubuntu user and until I synced to their latest release OpenWRT 
> builds worked great .... now a bunch of stuff fails  .... the underlying 
> problem seems to be that now by default ar run on an Intel platform adds a 
> SYM64 header to archives even if they only contain 32-bit objects (in my case 
> ARM ones) - the older cross tools just throw their hands up and barf
> 
> I wonder if a stopgap solution might be to accept that AR is broken in the 
> build environments and make ar smarter about what it generates, only adding 
> that header if 64-bit objects are there

ar is not part of coreutils but from binutils.  Therefore, there's nothing
we can do here regarding this problem. Thus, I'm marking this as 'not a bug'
in our bug tracker.

Have a nice day,
Berny