Subject: Re: bug#24915: alignment not working
From: Phil Susi <[email-masked]>
To: "Sobel-Sorenson, Chandler - (scar)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 09:25:26 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/9/2016 7:02 PM, Sobel-Sorenson, Chandler - (scar) wrote:
> I'm trying to make a new partition but the alignment isn't working.  I've started parted with: parted -a optimal /dev/sda.  Then:
> 
>  (parted) mkpart                                                           
> Partition name?  []? variables                                            
> File system type?  [ext2]? ext4                                           
> Start? 0                                                                  
> End? 4g                                                                   
> Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
> Ignore/Cancel? 
> 
> Am i doing something wrong here?

Yes: you specified a start position of 0 (mb), which means try to start
as close to zero as possible. Zero itself is not available, so sector 1
is used, and this is not aligned. Specify a start of 1 instead.