Subject: 25.1.50; tramp-histfile-override doc string states incorrect default
From: Brian Caruso <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:58:13 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc string for tramp-histfile-override is incorrect. It says the
default is t and describes how this works but the actual default is
".tramp_history"

I suggest changing the sentence:

The value t, the default value, unsets any setting of HISTFILE,
and sets both HISTFILESIZE andHISTSIZE to 0.

to:

The value t, the default value, unsets any setting of HISTFILE,
and sets both HISTFILESIZE andHISTSIZE to 0.

OR

Cahnging
(defvar tramp-histfile-override ".tramp_history" ...
to:
(defvar tramp-histfile-override t ...

The current defvar reads:

(defvar tramp-histfile-override ".tramp_history" "\
When invoking a shell, override the HISTFILE with this value.
When setting to a string, it redirects the shell history to that
file.  Be careful when setting to \"/dev/null\"; this might
result in undesired results when using \"bash\" as shell.

The value t, the default value, unsets any setting of HISTFILE,
and sets both HISTFILESIZE and HISTSIZE to 0.  If you set this
variable to nil, however, the *override* is disabled, so the
history will go to the default storage location,
e.g. \"$HOME/.sh_history\".")

(custom-autoload 'tramp-histfile-override "tramp-sh" t)

Thanks for your work on Emacs. I use it every day.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-09-19 built on bdc34-laptop
Repository revision: 83fbb3a6dd75e01a768cb6b3348b7c947711ee46
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa

Recent messages:

Mark set
mouse-2: go to this URL
Mark set [5 times]
mouse-2: visit this file in other window
delete-forward-char: Text is read-only
Grep exited abnormally with code 1
mouse-2: visit this file in other window [2 times]
Grep finished (matches found)
mouse-2: visit this file, line and column

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/bdc34/.emacs-site-lisp/X/xlib hides /home/bdc34/.emacs-site-lisp/xlib
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160420.259/helm-multi-match hides
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160419.2355/helm-multi-match
~/.emacs-site-lisp/immerrr-lua-mode-a070284/lua-mode hides
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/lua-mode-20151025/lua-mode
/home/bdc34/.emacs-site-lisp/use-package/use-package hides
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-2.1/use-package
/home/bdc34/.emacs-site-lisp/use-package/bind-key hides
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-2.1/bind-key
/home/bdc34/.emacs-site-lisp/prog-modes/tempo hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/tempo
/home/bdc34/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-0.4.16/flymake hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/progmodes/flymake

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
tramp-cmds tramp-ftp cus-theme eieio-custom wid-browse eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe em-unix em-term em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util tramp-smb tramp-gvfs
zeroconf dbus tramp-adb cus-edit apropos help-fns radix-tree timezone
parse-time shr-color color network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls
mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm url-cache url-auth eww puny mm-url gnus
nnheader url-queue shr svg dom misearch multi-isearch ewmctrl ispell
helm-ring dabbrev vc-git diff-mode ido-better-flex org-element org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils org-docview doc-view
subr-x jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs term
disp-table ehelp helm-command helm-mode winner tramp-sh recentf
tree-widget wid-edit ido which-func imenu cus-start cus-load gradle crm
help-at-pt inf-perl derived cperl-mode tramp-cache server saveplace
hl-line time paren linkd helm-taskswitch helm-projectile projectile grep
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dash helm-eshell helm-elisp helm-files
rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt
helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive
bookmark pp helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap helm-eval edebug
helm-info helm-plugin helm-utils compile comint ansi-color ring
helm-types helm-help helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp async helm
edmacro kmacro helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib dired
dired-loaddefs zenburn-theme use-package cl diminish bind-key easy-mmode
finder-inf advice info zenburn-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads package
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 677485 64399)
 (symbols 48 49119 0)
 (miscs 40 2793 1944)
 (strings 32 172868 19983)
 (string-bytes 1 6561513)
 (vectors 16 75784)
 (vector-slots 8 1894632 140330)
 (floats 8 848 1011)
 (intervals 56 11471 142)
 (buffers 976 57)
 (heap 1024 86367 240702))

-- 
Brian Caruso
Repository Developer
Cornell University
(607)355-1790