Subject: Re: bug#24866: AucTeX not working on Emacs 25.1.1 for Mac
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Eriksson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 12:47:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Eriksson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> I have now uninstalled it and installed the ELPA version and it worked
> out of the box…

Good, then I close this bug.  Although it is really strange that you
could pin this one single commit which seems to have broken things for
you.  The code in question is exactly the same in the ELPA version.

> How does emacs generate the search path to ELPA? Is the search path
> ~/emacs.d/elpa/ hardcoded into Emacs? I have not added anything to my
> .emacs but it finds auctex without my intervention…

package.el, the Emacs package manager, generates a
<package>-autoloads.el file in case it's not already contained in a
package (which it is not in the case of auctex).  That file contains an
appropriate load-path addition.

> My load path now has the following entries:
> "/Users/larer/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.6/"
> "/Users/larer/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.6” as a followup should there be two,
> one with trailing slash and one without?

Oh, right.  In the case of auctex, the generated autoloads file adds the
latter entry and in tex-site.el there's also code that adds the former
entry.  That shouldn't cause any harm but I should probably change the
code in tex-site.el so that no duplicate entry will be added.

Bye,
Tassilo