Subject: Mistake in GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
From: Eric Wayman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 14:07:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To Whom It May Concern,

I believe I have found a mistake in the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference
Manual.

In section 4.7, Formatting Strings
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Formatting-Strings.html#Formatting-Strings)
it says:

    "The precision is a decimal-point ‘.’ followed by a digit-string...
    Precision has no effect for other specification characters."

However, running

    (format "%.10d" 23)

produces

    0000000023

which clearly does have an effect (i.e. padding the integer with zeroes
to the left).

Best regards,
Eric Wayman