Subject: 25.1.50; Shell mode displaying password prompt
From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:17:21 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On a git push to github within a *shell* buffer I get the following

$ git push
Username for 'https://github.com': MyUserName
Password for 'https://[email-masked]': 

and the password is echoed

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.42 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.25)
 of 2016-08-05 built on ct-lt-579
Repository revision: 6a9d967048f489bea8c716eb7b5be2c582b480bb
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 (jessie)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pp ruby-mode url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
mailalias smtpmail sendmail find-dired grep compile idlwave idlwave-help
idlw-help eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree
vc-annotate gnus-fun gnus-draft tabify imenu man log-view dired-aux
log-edit pcvs-util dabbrev misearch multi-isearch flow-fill conf-mode
bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone nnir qp eww mm-url url-queue url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf bug-reference add-log autoconf autoconf-mode rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diary-lib diary-loaddefs python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell advice json sh-script smie
executable cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs map autorevert filenotify dired-x bitbake dash
s ucs-normalize mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto mmm-vars
mmm-utils mmm-compat cl term ehelp wconfig sort gnus-cite smiley
shr-color color url-util shr svg dom mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
utf-7 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-cache gnus-sum mailcap bbdb-loaddefs
gnus-desktop-notify notifications dbus xml assoc gnus-demon nntp
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader wid-edit vc-git diff-mode flyspell ispell org-element org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m edmacro kmacro
markdown-mode thingatpt org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func warnings server hyperbole hinit hibtypes
hib-doc-id hsys-w3 klink subr-x hib-kbd hib-debbugs hsys-org hactypes
hui-mini hui hui-mouse hui-window hargs hui-menu wrolo-menu wrolo hmail
hui-jmenu browse-url noutline outline easy-mmode hmouse-key hmouse-sh
hmouse-drv hypb locate dired dired-loaddefs hsite hui-em-but hbut hact
hpath hhist hbdata htz cal-julian cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs hbmap
hmoccur hui-select hvar set hversion hload-path desktop frameset
finder-inf info package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 985494 212921)
 (symbols 48 59823 0)
 (miscs 40 1925 3235)
 (strings 32 157373 14708)
 (string-bytes 1 4955200)
 (vectors 16 90501)
 (vector-slots 8 2064026 221612)
 (floats 8 840 2031)
 (intervals 56 63447 2226)
 (buffers 976 304)
 (heap 1024 143937 28792))