Subject: Re: bug#24162: 25.0.50; utf8 filenames with ornamented characters in MS-Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "cschr" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 17:39:17 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "cschr" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 14:15:52 +0200
> 
> "M-: (w32-application-type (executable-find "touch")) RET"       evaluates
> to "msys"

Which means it is not a native Windows port -- those should yield
"w32-native".  And that explains your problems with the 'T' command in
Dired.

> The files which cannot be processed are normal files created by me locally -
> they only thing special about them is the ornamented character in the file
> name. They can be processed normally by Windows Explorer, which also shows
> the ornamented characters properly.

And what does Emacs show for them?  If those file names include
non-ASCII characters that codepage 1252 cannot encode, then you cannot
invoke other programs from Emacs on those files.

> One last question please, Eli: how do I recognize native windows
> ports

See ab ove.

> and where do I get native ports of all the utilities needed by emacs
> (ls, diff, touch, ...)

GnuWin32 collection is one place, the ezwinports site is another.

I guess the MSYS2 site also has some native ports, but you will have
to ask on their forum how to find those native ports.

I'm closing this bug report, as it isn't a bug in Emacs.