Subject: tls/https support in Guile (through r6rs binary ports?)
From: Christopher Allan Webber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:55:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guile lacks https support by default, which is a really glaring omission
in any modern language!  I've submitted some code adapted from Guix
previously as a step towards adding https support:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2015-09/msg00031.html

While it can be pulled off through some gnutls hacks, these have
problems.  Unfortunately, it seems that the file descriptor is leaked:

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20145

I've been told on IRC that the "right solution" is to add r6rs style
binary ports:

  http://www.r6rs.org/final/html/r6rs-lib/r6rs-lib-Z-H-9.html

So maybe that's what should be done?

Anyway, I think this is one of *the most important things* that Guile
currently lacks.  (It's held me back from considering Guile as a serious
choice for at least one project, myself!)  Hope it can be fixed!

 - Chris