Subject: unable to load free firmware
From: Quilro Ordonez <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 16:06:58 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello mashi (Mashi is the kichwa word for friend, partner, associate, 
camerade. Kichwa is the language spoken in the Andes mountain region 
along all the West of South America).

I am trying to lo use Broadcom wireless device on GuixSD. It is 
confirmed to work with free drivers and free firmware. It works 
correctly in Trisquel too.

dmesg gives the following messages. I have included only the relevant 
parts:

[   20.400251] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found (core revision 10)
[   20.432041] b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 4, Type 2 (G), Revision 8
[   20.432058] b43-phy0: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, ID 0x2050, Revision 
2, Version 0
[   20.444116] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNL ]
[   20.444306] ssb0:0: Missing Free firmware (non-Free firmware loading 
is disabled)
[   20.444308] Unable to load firmware
[   20.591119] b43 ssb0:0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ 
failed with error -2
[   20.591135] b43 ssb0:0: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode5.fw 
failed with error -2
[   20.591154] b43 ssb0:0: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode5.fw 
failed with error -2
[   20.591158] b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" not 
found
[   21.313688] b43-phy0 ERROR: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/

'lspci -vmmnn -d 14e4:' shows:
Slot:    03:00.0
Class:    Network controller [0280]
Vendor:    Broadcom Corporation [14e4]
Device:    BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [4311]
SVendor:    Hewlett-Packard Company [103c]
SDevice:    BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [1363]
Rev:    01

'lspci -nn -d 14e4:' shows
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 
802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

h-node.com establishes rev 01 of this card works with free software in
https://h-node.org/wifi/view/en/2/Broadcom-Corporation-BCM4311-802-11b-g-WLAN--rev-02-

Please suggest what I should try. Thank you very much.

Quiliro