Subject: 25.0.91; temp-buffer-resize-mode disables shrink-window
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:46:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce:

 emacs -Q
 M-x temp-buffer-resize-mode RET
 C-h f shrink-window RET
 M-x shrink-window RET

Result: nothing happens.

I realize that this is the result of temp-buffer-resize-mode taking
control on the dimensions of the *Help* window, but for me this is an
unintended consequence: I did want *Help* buffer resize itself when it
displays a new topic, but I certainly didn't expect to lose the
ability to resize my other windows.  Moreover, doing nothing silently,
without any error message, sounds sub-optimal UI to me.

("Fixing" this is easy: just switch to the window displaying *Help*
and invoke shrink-window or enlarge-window from there -- from that
moment on the resizing commands will work from other windows as well.)

If the issue is not some unintended bug, then how about overriding
this behavior when the commands are invoked interactively?  Failing
even that, can we at least have a prefix argument to override that
explicitly?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.91.18 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-02-17 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 2abcb06cab03cf9040348146fcc0e3e93ae24a58
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Temp-Buffer-Resize mode enabled
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘temp-buf’ found

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra help-fns
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cus-start cus-load time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100797 6501)
 (symbols 56 21615 0)
 (miscs 48 40 107)
 (strings 16 19377 5571)
 (string-bytes 1 468866)
 (vectors 16 12474)
 (vector-slots 8 423274 4208)
 (floats 8 170 84)
 (intervals 40 290 143)
 (buffers 856 12))