Subject: Re: bug#22557: 25.0.90; Saving a buffer under auto-revert turns off file notifications
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 20:56:37 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I've committed a patch to the emacs-25 branch, which shall fix
>> this.
>
> It does, thanks.

So I'm closing the bug.

>> There is also a new test file-notify-test07-backup for this
>> problems. W/o the fix in filenotify.el, this test failed. Now it
>> succeeds for me.
>
> It fails for me on w32, I need 2 changed events, not one.  If this is
> surprising, I can investigate more.

As said, there are good chances that I'll have access to an MS Windows
machine next week; I'll run all tests there.

I have seen with inotify that I'll get a changed and then an
attribute-changed event; the attribute-changed event is suppressed in
the test.

On MS Windows, there are no attribute-changed events IIUC; they are sent
also as changed events. Therefore, you see two changed events. This is
also the case in other tests, see the comments in
file-notify-test02-events. I'll try to verify this, and adjust the
expected events for file-notify-test07-backup on MS Windows.

Best regards, Michael.