Subject: Re: bug#22300: 25.1.50; Dired -- renaming folders/files to CamelCase/UPPERCASE/lowercase.
From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:11:45 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hm. I'm curious. How do we know that this is not an Emacs bug?

His description matches something I run into myself all the time, due to
Emacs's case insensitive filesystem:

    17:10:45 Vulcan:/tmp $ mv foo Foo
    mv: ‘foo’ and ‘Foo’ are the same file

> I do not understand why this is his error msg:

>     Move '/Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO' to '/Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO' failed:
>                               ^^^                          ^^^^^^^
>       (file-error Renaming Invalid argument 
>        /Users/HOME/Desktop/FOO/Users/HOME/Desktop/foo/FOO)

Good catch, I hadn't noticed this oddity. Maybe this particular case is a real
bug.

> Also, I see from Keith's StackExchange question about this that he is able
> to use `mv FOO foo' to do the renaming without a problem.
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/19234/105

If that's the case, it sounds like a real bug, I'll reopen.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2