Subject: Re: bug#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines
From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:06:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:35:22 +0000 Andy Moreton <[email-masked]> wrote: 

AM> On Mon 07 Dec 2015, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> Without a quoting standard, it's not clear whether strings inside quotes
>> can be multiline and whether the newline itself can be escaped.

AM> The original spec is archaic - there is no quoting standard, only tokens
AM> separated by whitespace. As such, a quote is simply another character.

Right, and therefore we can't support the original spec as long as we
also support the more important single-quoting and double-quoting of strings.

I'm closing this without prejudice because I think we've stated our
positions clearly and it's not a bug, but if you or anyone else want to
propose a patch that can support multiline or the other keywords without
breaking the current functionality, we can reopen.

I would also welcome patches to remove the netrc.el usage.

Thanks
Ted