Subject: 25.0.50; Saving *Help* results in bad encoding because of curly quotes
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 18:50:49 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q
M-x load-library isearch.el
C-h f isearch-forward
In buffer *Help*: C-x C-w foo.txt

You get a coding-system warning.  I tried saving it as utf-8 and as raw
text.

In both cases, when I open that file in a new Emacs session, I see octal
escapes where there were curly quotes.

Why were there curly quotes?  Because `C-h f' produces curly quotes.

This is a regression - no such problem exists with Emacs 24.5 (or prior).

In order to produce a reasonable, readable file from the *Help* buffer
that I attached to the following mail message to [email-masked],
I had to resort to using Emacs 24.5:

 "RE: Exposing Isearch toggleable options", 2015-10-28, ~21:20

(BTW, it is apparently *not* the case, in spite of what is stated at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-10/index.html, that
the mailing list archive is updated every 30 minutes.  Far from it,
it seems.  That's why I didn't provide a URL to the emacs-devel post.
Got tired after 1/2 hour of waiting for it to show up.)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-10-09
Bzr revision: af45926d66d303fdc4c2c3ebbc820b4a54d9e4a0
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs'