Subject: Tramp hangs in Windows
From: Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:24:22 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The official Windows builds of Emacs 24.4 and 24.5 hang when I run

   M-x load-library tramp [RET]

Earlier Emacs versions (24.3, 24.2, 24.1, 23.4) do not have this problem. 
To get Emacs out of the frozen state, I can either kill some cmd.exe 
subprocesses or kill Emacs itself.

I get the same behavior on Windows XP and Windows 7, and I'm invoking 
Emacs with -Q factory settings. Some changes between 24.3 and 24.4 are 
probably causing the problem I'm having.

What I'm after is not to get Tramp functionality in Windows, but simply to 
run Emacs commands that do some Tramp checks. These functions run fine on 
the Linux side but hang in Windows. As far as I can tell, load-library 
tramp is intended to run in Emacs in Windows, like in earlier versions. My 
WinXP and Win7 machines are quite differently configured from each other, 
so I hope this problem is reproducible.

Thanks,

Arni