Subject: gzip huge filesize problem
From: Alexander Kleinsorge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 23:42:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Gzip team,

I compressed a 500 GB file (raw hdd image) using gzip 1.6 under Ubuntu 
14.10 (64 bit). uncompressing the file gives a file with 500 gb 
(checked).
But "gzip -l" shows bad (small) uncompressed_size and bad ratio 
(-5167%).

Below you can see some details, but I think it is a general bug.
Thanks for help, Alexander

gzip -l asus.gz
compressed        uncompressed  ratio uncompressed_name     99630975185  
         1891655680 -5166.9% asus

gzip --version
gzip 1.6

Linux myname 3.16.0-43-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 19 11:04:02 UTC 
2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

the 2 files (compressed 93gb + uncompressed 500gb)

-rwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 99630975185 Aug 15 21:39 asus.gz
-rwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 500107862016 Aug 14 09:00 sdc.raw
-rwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 93G Aug 15 21:39 asus.gz
-rwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 466G Aug 14 09:00 sdc.raw