Subject: 24.3; "display: no font available" after resize
From: Martin Pohlack <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:15:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

----------------------------------------------------------------------
After starting emacs with -Q:

* I set a custom font as default face (eval-region):

  (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Motix_Round")

  Everything looks as expected.

  (The font is available here https://github.com/martinp26/motix )

* I resize the default font via C-x C-+:

  No ASCII character is displayed correctly, all are represented by a
  small box.  Unicode characters (e.g., ö (o umlaut)) display correctly.

* If I invoke describe-char on a character of each class I get this:

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>              position: 221 of 224 (98%), column: 29
>             character: ö (displayed as ö) (codepoint 246, #o366, #xf6)
>     preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
> code point in charset: 0xF6
>                syntax: w 	which means: word
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), j:Japanese, l:Latin
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
>           buffer code: #xC3 #xB6
>             file code: #xC3 #xB6 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
>               display: by this font (glyph code)
>     xft:-unknown-Motix_Round-normal-normal-normal-*-31-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#xB8)
> 
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
>   old-name: LATIN SMALL LETTER O DIAERESIS
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
>   decomposition: (111 776) ('o' ' ')
> 
> There are text properties here:
>   fontified            t
----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------
>              position: 220 of 224 (98%), column: 28
>             character: e (displayed as e) (codepoint 101, #o145, #x65)
>     preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
> code point in charset: 0x65
>                syntax: w 	which means: word
>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
>           buffer code: #x65
>             file code: #x65 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
>               display: no font available
> 
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: LATIN SMALL LETTER E
>   general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
>   decomposition: (101) ('e')
> 
> There are text properties here:
>   fontified            t
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* When I reset the size via C-x C-- or C-x C-0 back to normal:

  Everything is find again, all characters display correctly.

Workaround:

* If I re-evaluate the face definition after switching to a different
  font size:

  (set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Motix_Round")

  everything is fine afterwards.  The font is used for all sizes from
  that point on and displays fine.  I assume there is some assumption
  about fonts built into emacs that is not fullfilled here but the
  font itself seems ultimately fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-07 on toyol, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-y 
<up> C-SPC <down> M-x e v a l - r e g <tab> <return> 
C-x C-+ C-x C-- C-x C-+ M-x <up> <return> C-x C-- C-x 
C-- C-x C-- C-x C-+ C-x C-+ M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> - b u g <tab> <C-backspace> <backspace> 
r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Mark activated
Use +,-,0 for further adjustment [8 times]
Making completion list... [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu face-remap time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)