Subject: Re: bug#19942: 25.0.50.1; Changing reftex-include-file-commands has no effect
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:52:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi!

> I was working in this document, wondering why reftex was not finding
> its files. I realized it was because I was using a macro of mine
> (named newpageinput) instead of the usual \input/\include, so I added:
> % reftex-include-file-commands: ("newpageinput" "input" "include") in
> the Local Variables: section, and hit C-u C-c C-n.
>
> But despite my efforts (e.g. removing the corresponding style file in
> auto/), the "C-c )" (reftex-reference) menu was always empty.
>
> After some grepping, I finally found I had to run M-:
> (reftex-compile-variables) RET in order to make it work.
>
> Could this process be documented e.g. in the docstring of
> reftex-include-file-commands ?

The same applies to all parsing-related reftex variables.  When changing
these options with customized, the "reftex tables" are marked dirty and
`reftex-compile-variables' will be called appropriately [1].  When
changing the options from lisp, you have to do that on your own.

I added that to the docs.  Now they mention:

,----[ (info "(reftex)Options") ]
|    In case you don’t use the ‘customize’ interface, here’s a caveat:
| Changing (mostly parsing-related) options might require a call to
| ‘reftex-compile-variables’ in order to become effective.
`----

> Also, it would be nice to mention the option
> reftex-include-file-commands in (info "(auctex) Multifile") or (info
> "(reftex) Multifile Documents").

Now the latter has a new paragraph:

,----[ (info "(reftex)Multifile Documents") ]
|    • RefTeX knows about the ‘\include’ and ‘\input’ macros.  In case you
|      use different commands to include files in a multifile document,
|      customize the variable ‘reftex-include-file-commands’.
| 
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

[1] Actually, reftex-include-file-commands was an exception here.  I
added the appropriate :set property to the defcustom just now.