Subject: Bug: no INSTALL file
From: Lukasz Dorau <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:06:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

There is no INSTALL file at the commit:

$ git log -1
commit 3d6cd2129e0454c537b315ce0a3aab8e032fa76a
Author: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Feb 11 12:12:23 2015 -0800

    maint: use ASAN-poisoning more carefully

I have tried to install grep in the following way and it failed:

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ autoconf
configure.ac:69: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:72: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:74: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_SILENT_RULES
configure.ac:182: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
configure.ac:183: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GNU_GETTEXT
configure.ac:189: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

$ ./configure
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in build-aux
"."/build-aux

Lukasz