Subject: 24.4: history bloat and navigation trouble
From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:54:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Whenever I use the 'r' or 'l' keys in eww-mode, to eww-forward-url or
eww-back-url in the history list, the size of the history increases.
This seems to me to be wrong. Also, this behaviour seems to make it
impossible (for me, at least) to traverse the entire history this way,
unless I do so in a straight sequence (eg. all eww-back-url without ever
using eww-forward-url).

Following is a version that seems to work for me.

(defun eww-back-url ()
; bugs resolved here:
; 1] (eww-save-history) should not be called here. All it doe\
s is bloat the history and make it difficult to navigate save\
 for direct entry from the *eww-history* buffer
; 2] eww-history-position was being incremented by 2 instead \
of 1
; 3] math error in navigating history elements - off by one
; 4] improper use of 'when'. upon finding a user-error, it pr\
oceeds to continue with the function anyway. use 'if' instead
  "Go to the previously displayed page."
  (interactive)
  (if (>= eww-history-position (1- (length eww-history)))
    (user-error "No previous page")
   (setq eww-history-position (1+ eww-history-position))
   (eww-restore-history (elt eww-history eww-history-position\
))))

(defun eww-forward-url ()
  "Go to the next displayed page."
  (interactive)
  (if (<= eww-history-position 0)
    (user-error "No next page")
   (setq eww-history-position (1- eww-history-position))
   (eww-restore-history (elt eww-history eww-history-position\
))))

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2014-12-09 on gaia, modified by Debian
System Description:	Debian 7.0 GNU/Linux wheezy/testing

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=no --without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-favicon hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-favicon
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-symbol hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-symbol
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/bookmark-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/bookmark-w3m
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/mime-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/mime-w3m
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-filter hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-filter
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-ccl hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-ccl
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-namazu hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-namazu
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-ems hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-ems
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/octet hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/octet
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-bookmark hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-bookmark
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-perldoc hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-perldoc
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-dtree hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-dtree
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-session hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-session
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-mail hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-mail
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-search hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-search
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3mhack hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3mhack
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-proc hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-proc
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-tabmenu hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-tabmenu
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-rss hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-rss
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/mew-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/mew-w3m
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-image hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-image
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-hist hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-hist
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-lnum hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-lnum
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-form hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-form
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-cookie hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-cookie
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-weather hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-weather
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-bug hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-bug
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-fb hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-fb
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-antenna hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-antenna
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-util hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-util
home/boruch.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.2/csv-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/csv-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/cdargs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cdargs
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/ert-x
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/cl-lib
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/ert

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev ...)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1043076 35535)
 (symbols 48 49941 0)
 (miscs 40 3608 4131)
 (strings 32 211545 17576)
 (string-bytes 1 6527905)
 (vectors 16 56912)
 (vector-slots 8 1760199 36350)
 (floats 8 512 1702)
 (intervals 56 139256 3953)
 (buffers 960 130)
 (heap 1024 69149 12252))

-- 
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0