Subject: Re: bug#19567: "segmentation fault" for long patterns ...
From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
To: Roméo Capulet <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:25:00 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Roméo Capulet <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I got a segmentation fault when I try to match a very long pattern on a
> file:
> $ grep -Po 'jQuery\.extend\(Drupal\.settings,[ \t]*\{((?!\}\}\)).)+\}\}\);'
> /tmp/pattern-exemple.txt
> Erreur de segmentation
>
> the grep version : grep (GNU grep) 2.16

Thank you for the complete bug report.
That appears to be due to a bug in the version of libpcre that your
version of grep uses.
Using the latest release, grep-2.21 with newer pcre, that example no
longer causes trouble.

Since this issue appears not to affect the latest version, I'm marking
this ticket as "done".