Subject: 25.0.50; NS yank discards unicode
From: Andrew Cobb <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:17:58 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While using the NS window system, saving and yanking text will replace
instances of non-latin characters with spaces.

to reproduce:
emacs -Q
in *scratch* type "aβc"
select text
M-w
C-y
"a c" gets inserted

The loss seems to happen somewhere in the C function `ns-get-selection',
as (ns-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD 'STRING) returns "a c".

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS appkit-1343.14 
Version 10.10 (Build 14A389))
of 2014-10-30 on romulus-2.local
Repository revision: 118238 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1343
Configured using:
`configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
IMAGEMAGICK DBUS ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b <return> a C-x 8 <return> g r e e k SPC s m a
l l SPC l e t t e r SPC b e t a <return> c C-SPC C-a
M-w C-e C-y M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-755986ipBMv8ZeGCC': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-755982bRrE82xj3pA': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598XSgwmQzqcnpX': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598WNgWV6GZNLE6': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598SQqOBdyg0PS7': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598XissC-e6hSVh': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598iTJfrizLNS1c': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598Xv2TML3cEZlM': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598hoR-GxG7LEVa': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658
ImageMagick error: unable to open image 
`/var/tmp/magick-75598kiZfRyYk2S6i': No such file or directory @ 
error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2658

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils iso-transl time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind cocoa
ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 155416 4275)
(symbols 48 27407 1)
(miscs 40 85 141)
(strings 32 60472 5248)
(string-bytes 1 1305667)
(vectors 16 9887)
(vector-slots 8 426106 55349)
(floats 8 63 397)
(intervals 56 236 4)
(buffers 976 12))

--
Andrew