Subject: Re: bug#18699: 25.0.50; Windows 7: Odd length text property list
From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:57:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[snip]

> It is a PITA that the MinGW64 compiler doesn't define some clear-cut
> macro for that without the need to include headers.  IME this is a
> terrible maintenance headache in the long run.

Agreed.

> Perhaps you could ask the MinGW64 developers to change their mind
> about that.

I could try, but my understanding is that they are not interested on
doing that, for multiple reasons. One of them is that, in theory, you
could use the MinGW-w64 compiler with the MinGW headers and libraries.

> What about __x86_64__, does it perhaps fit the bill already?

__x86_64__ is about the processor. It is also defined by gcc 4.8.2 on my
Kubuntu x86_64. Of course, being MinGW on x86_64 implies Windows 64. But
I've seen quite a few patch submissions about ARM support on the
MinGW-w64 ml, so an hypothetical Emacs compiled for Windows ARM 64bits
by MinGW would fail the __x86_64__ test. If that Emacs comes to light,
we probably would need to determine what's the right thing wrt
ALIGN_STACK, though.

So in this specific case __x86_64__ does not harm, but it is superfluous
on the presence on _WIN64.

>> Eli, can you take care of the ALIGN_STACK fix?
>
> Done in trunk revision 118105.

Thanks!