Subject: Re: bug#18116: 24.3.92; url-http calls CALLBACK recursively with malformed CBARGS if the former calls `delete-process'
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:00:07 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.3.93.4

On 09/12/2014 09:22 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I think there is indeed a change of behavior in that the sentinel used
> to be nil'd while running it.
> [ This was changed because it prevented the sentinel from modifying itself.  ]

Okay, I guess.

>> To me, "When retrieval is completed, execute the function CALLBACK, using
>> the arguments listed in CBARGS." means that it will be called exactly with
>> the value of CBARGS passed to `url-http', whereas instead the list gets
>> prepended with stuff before it's passed to CALLBACK.
>
> Can you improve those docstrings, to avoid such confusion in the future?

Done, I think (r117511). Although maybe we should remove the middle 
paragraph in `url-http' docstring and replace it with a reference to 
`url-retrieve-internal': its second sentence has very much the same 
contents, only using different words.