Subject: 24.4.50; help-for-help inaccuracy
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:37:38 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Invoking help-for-help via C-h C-h the text includes the explanation:

S SYMBOL    Show the section for the given symbol in the on-line manual
              for the programming language used in this buffer.

I expected this to use an online (i.e.external to my box, presumably
HTTP accessed) manual but it actually invokes info-lookup-symbol.

Suggest  changing the text to read :

Show the section for the given symbol in the installed info manual for
the programming language used in this buffer.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.3 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, GTK+ Version 3.12.0)
 of 2014-04-29 on GilesAir.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  popwin-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-h S <tab> s <tab> c <tab> 
<return> <tab> <return> M-x f i n d <tab> - f <tab> 
u <tab> - a <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> k e y <return> C-h l <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> q M-x f i n d - f u <tab> - o <tab> 
n <tab> <return> C-h S <down> C-h k C-h S <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-g C-h 
C-h <down> <down> <down> C-h C-h <down> C-x b <return> 
q C-h h C-g C-h C-h SPC SPC <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> 
M-w C-x C-f ~ / g i t <return> e m <return> e <backspace> 
R <return> M-x a g <tab> - p <tab> <return> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> C-y <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <up> <up> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <down> <down> <up> <down> <up> M-x 
r e m a c s - <return>

Recent messages:
execute-extended-command: `find-function-at-key' is not a valid command name

Beginning of buffer [5 times]
End of buffer [2 times]
Making completion list...

Quit
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Quit
Ag finished

Load-path shadows:
~/git-repos/magit/magit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit
~/git-repos/magit/magit-wip hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-wip
~/git-repos/magit/magit-topgit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-topgit
~/git-repos/magit/magit-svn hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-svn
~/git-repos/magit/magit-stgit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-stgit
~/git-repos/magit/magit-key-mode hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/magit-key-mode
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-org
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-md
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-man
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-html
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-macro
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-install
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-element
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-docview hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-scala hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-io hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-core
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/git-repos/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
~/git-repos/predictive/avl-tree hides /Users/grc/git-repos/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/avl-tree

Features:
(shadow emacsbug thai-util thai-word lao-util info-look info bookmark
shr-color color eww mm-url flow-fill gnus-fun make-mode shr url-cache
bbdb-hooks smiley mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table qp
bbdb-gui gnus-cite gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-cache
gnus-demon nntp gnus-art idna mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
gnus-calendar gnus-calendar-org org-capture ical-event-reply ical-event
icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs gnus-alias nnir gnutls network-stream
starttls mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort bbdb-snarf mail-extr org-table
misearch multi-isearch vc-hg ag vc-svn mule-util eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m paredit pexip popwin multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines
multiple-cursors-core misc grc-video bbdb-com warnings boxquote rect
pcmpl-lein pcmpl-git em-smart puppet-mode vc-git vc vc-dispatcher python
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell browse-kill-ring
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-repl elp slime
gud etags apropos arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec slime-autoloads growl
erc-image image-dired url-queue erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp solar
cal-dst org-trello org-trello-controller org-trello-input
org-trello-server org-trello-webadmin org-trello-proxy org-trello-db
org-trello-buffer org-trello-backend org-trello-cbx org-trello-api
org-trello-query org-trello-data org-trello-hash org-trello-action
org-trello-setup org-trello-utils org-trello-log esxml pcase xml align
elnode db web time-stamp browse-url json s fakir dotassoc kv ert ewoc
debug noflet request url-http url-auth url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core password-cache url-vars mailcap
dash magit-key-mode magit view package iswitchb esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode
esh-util ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff grep epa epg epg-config diff-mode
git-rebase-mode thingatpt git-commit-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log
org-mobile org-agenda ox-beamer ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table
ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element ob-ditaa footnote org byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-fixup
autoload lisp-mnt ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util wid-edit clojure-mode rx bbdb-autoloads bbdb
timezone smex ido eldoc tex-site auto-loads flyspell ispell message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader yasnippet help-mode flymake-jslint
flymake-easy advice flymake compile js-comint comint ansi-color ring
js2-mode derived easy-mmode edmacro kmacro help-fns cl-macs cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-styles cc-align cc-cmds cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs imenu cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired-x easymenu dired server
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1381197 81369)
 (symbols 48 94148 1)
 (miscs 40 3649 3782)
 (strings 32 195364 9949)
 (string-bytes 1 6192524)
 (vectors 16 59323)
 (vector-slots 8 1805372 148078)
 (floats 8 1543 1844)
 (intervals 56 9773 164)
 (buffers 960 95))

-- 
Giles Chamberlin