Subject: 24.3; S-up bindkey not being set for windmove-up in emacs -nw
From: "Gopinath, Rahul" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 21:57:41 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ emacs -nw -Q
On emacs, execute
M-x windmove-default-keybindings

Cx-2
Cx-3

While S-<Left> S-<Right>, S-<Down>, works S-<Up> responds with "<select>
is undefined". (C-h k) is saying that the key is undefined.

Next, I tried M-x windmove-up, which worked correctly, and the status
line said that I can use S-<up> instead (which does not work).

Next, I tried to set it using the global .emacs file with
(global-set-key (kbd "S-<up>")    'windmove-up)
This did not succeed, with S-<up> not being recognized as set.

Lastly, I tried manually defining it with M-x global-set-key S-<up>
windmove-up. Interestingly, this works with the key bound as expected.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2014-02-22 on king, modified by Debian
System Description: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/
 share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
 -Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 2 7 1 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : 0 0 0 0
/ 0 0 0 0 / 0 0 0 0 ESC \ ESC x r e p o TAB r TAB
RET

Recent messages:
("emacs")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)