Subject: 24.3.50; debug: Terminal 3 is locked, cannot read from it
From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 13:03:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I got the following error message
debug: Terminal 3 is locked, cannot read from it

It has already happened to me but I cannot reproduce. This however only
happeend to me in a situation where emacs is run (with -nw option) from
gdb which is run from tmux and I connect to that through ssh and
emacsclient.

In this specific occurrence of the problem, that initial frame was
active (on the host computer) but I was connecting to the emacs session
from ssh via emacsclient. There was a third frame also, a graphical one,
on the host computer.

If I hit ESC ESC ESC, I get the error message again and enter a new
level of recursive edit (i.e. another layer of brackets in the
modeline). I can't escape those : C-] just makes also the error again +
another level of recursive edit.

Any idea on how to debug this further ?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-03-27 on geodiff-mac3
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11304000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid 'CFLAGS= -O0 -g3''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Edit Macro

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-discover-mode: t
  discover-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> C-x C-s c M-x g n u s <return> C-x b 
<return> <C-home> C-x C-s C-c C-c y g <up> <down> q 
y C-c C-SPC C-z C-x b B B <return> C-x b b <backspace> 
B B Q C-g ESC [ > 1 ; 3 4 0 6 ; 0 c C-c C-c C-@ C-c 
C-@ C-u C-c C-@ ESC x C-g ESC x r c i r c RET ESC x 
g n u s RET C-n C-p RET RET , , C-p RET C-c C-@ C-c 
C-@ C-c C-@ C-c C-@ C-c C-@ C-c C-s C-x 1 C-l C-l ESC 
x g n u s RET RET q RET RET k q RET q C-n q y ESC < 
ESC > C-x b # e m RET ESC < ESC > C-c C-@ C-c C-@ C-c 
C-@ ESC < C-x K C-c C-@ ESC > C-x K ESC x ESC l o c 
a t e RET d e n i s RET C-s p d f C-n C-n C-n ESC x 
ESC O A RET d b o n h e RET C-x 1 C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-x K C-x C-c C-g C-x C-c C-g C-x ESC O C C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-n C-n C-p C-o C-n C-c C-e d o c u TAB RET RET 
C-h l C-x C-k e C-h l ESC > C-@ C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-g ESC x r e p o r t SPC e m TAB SPC b u DEL DEL 
DEL TAB RET

Recent messages:
Mark set [6 times]
Mark saved where search started
Quit [2 times]
Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
Entering debugger...
debug: Terminal 3 is locked, cannot read from it
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Formatting keyboard macro...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit-blame hides ~/sources/magit/magit-blame
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit-key-mode hides ~/sources/magit/magit-key-mode
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit-pkg hides ~/sources/magit/magit-pkg
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit-wip hides ~/sources/magit/magit-wip
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/git-commit-mode-20140125.1553/git-commit-mode hides ~/sources/magit/git-commit-mode
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit-autoloads hides ~/sources/magit/magit-autoloads
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20140213.1249/magit hides ~/sources/magit/magit
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/git-rebase-mode-20140125.1553/git-rebase-mode hides ~/sources/magit/git-rebase-mode
~/.emacs.d/lisp/asy-mode hides /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/asymptote/asy-mode
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-html
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-table
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-element
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-list
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-info
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-md
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-install
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-docview hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-man
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-org
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-core
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-version
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-src
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-macro
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-io hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-scala hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-id
~/sources/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/youngfrog/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-0/tabulated-list hides /home/youngfrog/sources/running-emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(locate mailalias smtpmail url-queue shr-color color org-indent
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m url-cache debbugs-org
debbugs-gnu debbugs soap-client shadow bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail
vc-git gud reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars preview prv-emacs
tex-buf font-latex latex tex-style tex dbus misearch multi-isearch
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
rcirc-color rcirc time-stamp gnus-draft flow-fill pp shr browse-url
mm-archive semantic/db-mode semantic/db semantic/idle semantic/format
ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet yasnippet assoc projectile pkg-info epl s completion ob-dot ob-R
ob-shell shell magit-key-mode magit view help-mode grep compile
diff-mode autorevert filenotify git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode log-edit
pcvs-util add-log sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table ffap thingatpt server nndraft nnmh nnmaildir gnutls
nnfolder parse-time bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm netrc network-stream
starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils xterm hideshow org-caldav icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-id latexenc ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html
ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree url-dav url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-handlers etable
etable-selection-model etable-cell-renderer etable-table-column-model
etable-table-column etable-table-model eieio-base interval-list dash
helm-config helm-aliases bbdb bbdb-site timezone yf-asy preview-latex
mb-depth icomplete autoinsert hippie-exp warnings ert ewoc debug
jka-compr paredit windmove paren dired recentf tree-widget wid-edit
org-inlinetask winner ampc-autoloads nlinum-autoloads info
sicp-autoloads finder-inf w3-autoloads workspaces-autoloads
wtf-autoloads pcase discover makey-key-mode twittering-mode edmacro
kmacro epa derived epg epg-config tls cl-macs gv url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap xml cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time cus-start cus-load two-mode-mode tex-site auto-loads ido-hacks ido
org byte-opt advice help-fns org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs package use-package bytecomp byte-compile cconv
bind-key easy-mmode tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 656834 83083)
 (symbols 24 62271 512)
 (miscs 20 1962 2817)
 (strings 16 152979 30540)
 (string-bytes 1 4975562)
 (vectors 8 55728)
 (vector-slots 4 979444 32758)
 (floats 8 895 956)
 (intervals 28 12031 1103)
 (buffers 512 136)
 (heap 1024 26255 7094))

-- 
Nico.