Subject: 24.3.50; [ruby-mode] Regexp literal modifiers are not font-locked
From: Bozhidar Batsov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 15:28:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In a simple regexp like:

/something/i
%r{test}i

the trailing 'i' is not font-locked. Most editor/IDEs font-lock the
modifiers. I'd suggest the use of a different face than the string face
used for the literal itself, but even it would be an improvement. I also
think
that only valid modifiers should be font-locked.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-01-27 on Bozhidars-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD --without-dbus
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs
 --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
  ruby-tools-mode: t
  inf-ruby-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  guru-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  prelude-global-mode: t
  prelude-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
o <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> i o s <return>
g e m <return> C-x g C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n d <return>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x o C-u S c c F i x SPC a SPC b u n c h
SPC o f SPC c o m p i l a t i o n SPC w a r n i n g
s C-c C-c P P <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
C-x g C-n d <return> <wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up>
<double-wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> d <return>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q C-u S c c S i
m p l i f y SPC s o m e SPC c o e e SPC <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> d e SPC b y SPC u s i n g SPC
m o r e SPC m o d e r n SPC c o n v e n t i o n s M-b
M-b M-b M-d C-d C-e C-c C-c P P l l q <help-echo> <help-echo>
<wheel-right> <double-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right>
<triple-wheel-right> <wheel-up> <wheel-right> <double-wheel-right>
<triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right>
<triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right>
<triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right>
<triple-wheel-right> <triple-wheel-right> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x b t e s t . <return> <return> <return>
C-y C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
<return> <return> C-p C-p C-f C-p x C-s <backspace>
<backspace> C-g <backspace> C-x C-s C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-k C-x C-s C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-e <return>
<return> t o p SPC = SPC / s h i t / i C-p C-p C-p
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x <return>

Recent messages:
1 trailing blank lines detected.
Quit
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb
Useless assignment to variable - regexp [2 times]
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb...
Wrote /Users/bozhidar/projects/test.rb

Load-path shadows:
/Users/bozhidar/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.2251/tabulated-list hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug vc-annotate vc vc-dispatcher nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct edebug crm ielm hippie-exp markdown-mode
noutline outline gitignore-mode conf-mode yaml-mode ace-jump-mode ffap
url-parse url-vars ruby-tools inf-ruby ruby-mode-expansions
smartparens-ruby ruby-mode smie misearch multi-isearch jka-compr
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mule-util find-dired
magit-key-mode magit view epa derived epg epg-config diff-mode
git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode server log-edit message sendmail rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
add-log executable vc-git lisp-mnt network-stream starttls tls cider
cider-mode cider-repl cider-eldoc clojure-test-mode cider-interaction
arc-mode archive-mode cider-client nrepl-client cider-util ewoc
superword subword clojure-mode-expansions clojure-mode inf-lisp
rainbow-mode color rainbow-delimiters elisp-slime-nav guru-mode
prelude-key-chord key-chord prelude-xml nxml-mode-expansions
html-mode-expansions sgml-mode smartparens-html rng-nxml rng-valid
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok prelude-web prelude-scss prelude-scheme prelude-ruby prelude-perl
prelude-org prelude-js prelude-erc erc-truncate erc-autoaway
erc-spelling erc-notify erc-log erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-css prelude-common-lisp slime-autoloads
prelude-clojure prelude-lisp prelude-c prelude-programming flycheck
help-mode rx f which-func imenu prelude-ido smex flx-ido flx
ido-ubiquitous warnings ido prelude-osx exec-path-from-shell
prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor winner undo-tree diff esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util re-builder whitespace browse-kill-ring
midnight ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired-x dired anzu projectile pkg-info
find-func grep compile s bookmark pp expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom flyspell
ispell etags volatile-highlights hl-line windmove tramp-cache tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist saveplace
diminish smartparens-config smartparens autorevert filenotify delsel
prelude-mode easy-mmode edmacro kmacro prelude-core epl advice help-fns
dash thingatpt prelude-ui zenburn-theme prelude-packages finder-inf
ack-and-a-half-autoloads diminish-autoloads erlang-autoloads
flx-ido-autoloads eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
grizzl-autoloads key-chord-autoloads logito-autoloads info easymenu
cl-macs gv move-text-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads puppet-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads request-autoloads rubocop-autoloads
volatile-highlights-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package cl cl-loaddefs
cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)