Subject: 24.3.50; w32-shell-execute does not open url behind proxy
From: "Stefan-W. Hahn" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:58:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-19 on LEG570
Repository revision: 116068 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Because of commit 0c082e1484a3 (git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git), which fixes
bug #16252, I ran into a problem when calling w32-shell-execute or
browse-url on a url (http/https).

Because I have to work behind a NTLM proxy I have to authenticate and
therfor I use Internet Explorer.

Because of the fix in the above commit w32-shell-execute (and also
browse-url) now call Ffile_exists_p on the url. This is translated into
url-file-exists-p, which tries to load the url; this does not work because
of the proxy. (And if this works, when not having a proxy, the file ist
loaded, and then the Interne Explorer is called on the same url; double
loading).

To solve this for me I set:

  (put 'file-exists-p 'url-file-handlers 'ignore)

I'm not sure if this is the right solution in all cases.

With kind regards,
Stefan

-- 
Stefan-W. Hahn                          It is easy to make things.
                                        It is hard to make things simple.