Subject: 24.3; Messages from (error "...") with UTF-8 chars are printed wrongly in Emacs Lisp scripts
From: Sergey Tselikh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:10:09 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

In a script, when (error "...") instruction is executed with some UTF-8
characters in its text, the message is not printed correctly.

LANG environment variable is set to en_US.UTF-8 for all programs, my terminal is
x11-terms/rxvt-unicode with adequate UTF-8 support, Emacs version is GNU Emacs
24.3.1.

Examples (all of them are with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in environment):

$ cat error.el 
(message "hello привет")
(message "привет hello")
(error "hello привет")

$ emacs --script error.el 
hello привет
привет hello
hello ?@825B

But: 
$ emacs -nw --eval '(error "hello привет")'  
^^^ successfully prints "hello привет" in minibuffer.

This ?@825B is not some trash.  Created a small table showing its origins (It
is ``echo hello привет | print-bits | cat -t'' vs. ``echo hello привет |
high-bits-01 | print-bits | cat -t''):

h    01101000  |   h  01101000  |
e    01100101  |   e  01100101  |
l    01101100  |   l  01101100  |
l    01101100  |   l  01101100  |
o    01101111  |   o  01101111  |
     00100000  |      00100000  |
M-P  11010000  |   P  01010000  |
M-?  10111111  |   ?  00111111  |   ?
M-Q  11010001  |   Q  01010001  |
M-^@ 10000000  |   @  01000000  |   @
M-P  11010000  |   P  01010000  |
M-8  10111000  |   8  00111000  |   8
M-P  11010000  |   P  01010000  |
M-2  10110010  |   2  00110010  |   2
M-P  11010000  |   P  01010000  |
M-5  10110101  |   5  00110101  |   5
M-Q  11010001  |   Q  01010001  |
M-^B 10000010  |   B  01000010  |   B

More examples:

$ cat any-other.el 
(error "cons:%s list:%s string:%s" (cons 'на 'речке) '(на речке на том бере) "be Быть beat Бить become Становиться begin Начинать bleed Кровоточить stung Жалить sweep Выметать swell Разбухать swim Плавать swing Качать take Брать, взять")

$ emacs --script any-other.el 
cons:(=0 . @5G:5) list:(=0 @5G:5 =0 B>< 15@5) string:be KBL beat 8BL become !B0=>28BLAO begin 0G8=0BL bleed @>2>B>G8BL stung 0;8BL sweep K<5B0BL swell  071CE0BL swim ;020BL swing 0G0BL take @0BL, 27OBL

$ cat ja.el 
(setq jstr "案ずるより産むが易し。 Anzuru yori umu ga yasushi. 出る杭は打たれる。 Deru kui wa utareru.")
(message "%s" jstr)
(error "%s" jstr)

$ emacs --script ja.el 
案ずるより産むが易し。 Anzuru yori umu ga yasushi. 出る杭は打たれる。 Deru kui wa utareru.
HZ???#?LW Anzuru yori umu ga yasushi. ?moS_?? Deru kui wa utareru.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.17)
 of 2013-10-10 on laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
 '--disable-silent-rules' '--disable-dependency-tracking'
 '--program-suffix=-emacs-24' '--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../lib64'
 '--with-gameuser=games' '--without-compress-info' '--without-hesiod'
 '--without-kerberos' '--without-kerberos5' '--with-gpm' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gnutls' '--with-xml2' '--without-selinux' '--without-wide-int'
 '--with-sound' '--with-x' '--without-ns' '--with-gconf'
 '--without-gsettings' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-gif'
 '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-imagemagick' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf' '--with-m17n-flt'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk2' 'GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.3-r2'
 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-pipe -march=corei7-avx -mno-aes -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

-- 
Sergey Tselikh <[email-masked]>