Subject: 24.3.50; [PATCH] GDB Registers buffer - wrong values fontified
From: Andrzej P <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 00:35:04 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When stepping through a program with the GDB graphical interface, the
values in the Registers buffer are fontified with
'font-lock-warning-face' on the step *after* they have changed.  It
makes more sense to highlight changed values on each step.  I guess
that this is a bug.

To reproduce:

 $ emacs -Q

 M-x gdb

 gdb -i=mi emacs <return> (or something suitable)

 M-x gdb-display-registers-buffer

In GUD buffer:

 (gdb) break main
 (gdb) run
 
Now step by machine instructions (e.g. 'C-x C-a C-i').  The values of
registers in the Registers buffer change but are fontified only on the
following step.

The reason is that in 'gdb-update', 'gdb-changed-registers' is updated
*after* the buffers are updated.  Switching the order of the two
operations as in the following patch solves the problem.  

=== modified file 'lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el'
--- lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el	2014-01-01 07:43:34 +0000
+++ lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el	2014-01-05 23:08:27 +0000
@@ -1890,10 +1890,11 @@
   ;; gdb-break-list is maintained in breakpoints handler
   (gdb-get-buffer-create 'gdb-breakpoints-buffer)
 
+  (gdb-get-changed-registers)
+
   (unless no-proc
     (gdb-emit-signal gdb-buf-publisher 'update))
 
-  (gdb-get-changed-registers)
   (when (and (boundp 'speedbar-frame) (frame-live-p speedbar-frame))
     (dolist (var gdb-var-list)
       (setcar (nthcdr 5 var) nil))

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2014-01-05 on andrzej-laptop
Bzr revision: 115879 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Trisquel 6.0

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t SPC e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)