Subject: 24.3; move-to-window-line goes to wrong line
From: John Hagerman <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:22:42 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Using X Windows, I start 'emacs -Q' and get a window of height "30".  I
need a buffer with more lines than window height, so I enter 35 lines
into an empty buffer.  At that point the last line of the buffer is
somewhere in the middle of the window.  Since 'point' is at the end of
the buffer, doing (move-to-window-line -1) does not move point, as
expected.  Then, since 'point' is at the end of the buffer, doing ESC -
^L adjusts the display so the last line of the buffer is on the last
line of the window.  Now doing (move-to-window-line -1) _does_ move
point, to the previous line.  I believe this is incorrect behavior.
Then, since 'point' has moved, doing ESC - ^L puts the second-to-last
line of the buffer on the last line of the window.  And now doing
(move-to-window-line -1) does not move point, as expected.

Dribble file (unprintable chars edited to, eg, "^X"):
^Xbfoo<return>1<return>2<return>3<return>4<return>5<return>6<return>7<return>8<return>9<return>0<return>1<return>2<return>3<return>4<return>5<return>6<return>7<return>8<return>9<return>0<return>1<return>2<return>3<return>4<return>5<return>6<return>7<return>8<return>9<return>0<return>1<return>2<return>3<return>4<return>5<return><escape>-1<escape>xmove-to-window-line<return><escape>-^L<escape>-1<escape>xmove-to-window-line<return><escape>-^L<escape>-1<escape>xmove-to-window-line<return>^X^C

Thanks ~ John

In GNU Emacs 24.3.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2013-05-03 on depbldrh55
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
System Description:	Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/depot/emacs-24.3' '--with-gif=no'
 '--with-x-toolkit=yes''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)