Subject: 24.3; copy-directory ignores copy-contents when using tramp
From: Kyle Mahan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:58:53 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,
Trying to copy the contents of a local directory to a remote one (trying
to get behavior like "scp -r src/* user@host:dest/") , I noticed that
the "copy-contents" flag is (silently?) ignored when the destination is
remote. So the directory, rather than its contents is copied to the
destination. To reproduce:

;; terminal:
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ mkdir /tmp/source /tmp/dest-local /tmp/dest-remote
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ touch /tmp/source/file

(copy-directory "/tmp/source" "/tmp/dest-local" nil nil t)
(copy-directory "/tmp/source" "/kmahan@localhost:/tmp/dest-remote" nil nil
t)

;; terminal:
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ ls /tmp/dest-local/
;; file
;; [kmahan@lemur ~]$ ls /tmp/dest-remote/
;; source/

Thanks :)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-06 on -mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<return> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-j C-y <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> C-k C-k ; ; SPC <left> <down> <left>
<left> ; ; SPC <left> <down> <left> <left> ; ; SPC
<left> <down> <left> <left> ; ; SPC <C-left> <C-left>
<C-left> <C-left> <C-right> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <C-down> C-SPC <C-up> <C-up> <C-up> M-w
C-g M-x r e p r o t <C-backspace> M-x r e p o r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Process has finished.
Tramp: Opening connection for kmahan@localhost using scpc...done
nil
byte-code: End of buffer [2 times]

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Process has finished.
Quit
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in
minibuffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils tramp-cache
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)