From: [email-masked] (Fabián Ezequiel Gallina)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:08:09 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed in revno 115736.

Thanks Dale for such detailed recipe.

This patch banishes initial thoughts of `python-syntax-context' being a
bad idea.  `python-syntax-context' is nothing than a thin semantic
wrapper over `syntax-ppss'. It makes code easier to grasp for newcomers
to Elisp and has almost no impact on itself, it's optional argument is a
`syntax-ppss' list which can be used instead to lower the amount of
calls to it (as it is happening in this new patch I've just committed).

The problem here was that `python-nav-beginning-of-statement' was coded
awfully (looking for the statement beginning line by line). Now it
should be extremely fast compared to that.

Using OP's suggested recipe, here are the elp results for when
which-func is triggered inside the big tuple:

    python-info-current-defun                      2           0.003719249   0.0018596245
    python-nav-beginning-of-defun                  2           0.0036946010  0.0018473005
    python-nav--beginning-of-defun                 2           0.003685751   0.0018428755
    python-nav-backward-block                      2           0.001836524   0.000918262
    python-nav-forward-block                       2           0.0018315750  0.0009157875
    python-info-looking-at-beginning-of-defun      6           0.000889166   0.0001481943
    python-nav-beginning-of-statement              4           0.000437251   0.0001093127
    python-syntax-context-type                     6           5.009e-06     8.348...e-07

And this is the benchmark-run result: (0.020715153 0 0.0)

Regards,
Fabián.