Subject: Re: bug#15286: Add the current directory as GUILE_LOAD_PATH by default
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 14:10:27 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Currently to install a local package definition, I have to adjust the GUILE_LOAD_PATH by hand:
>
>       GUILE_LOAD_PATH=. guix package -e '(@ (mercurial) hg)'
>
> This could be much clearer if the $pwd were in the load path automatically.

As usual, it is a bad idea to include ‘.’ in the search path, because it
makes it easy to unwillingly execute untrusted code.

More generally, ‘GUILE_LOAD_PATH’ is a user environment variable (like
$PATH, $CPATH, etc.), so it’s up to the user, not to Guix, to set it up
correctly.

So I’m closing this bug, but of course, I remain open to discussions on
improving Guix to better support “overlays”.

Thanks!

Ludo’.