Subject: Re: bug#14717: 24.3.50; Info-try-follow-nearest-node misses some footnotes
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:37:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 02:39:07 +0300 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 0. emacs -Q
>> 1. Type `C-h i m Elisp RET m Using Interactive RET TAB TAB TAB' to put
>>    point on the left parent of the reference mark for footnote (1) in
>>    this node.
>> 2. Type RET, expecting to jump to the footnote, but instead:
>> => user-error: No such node or anchor: It may be a string; its contents
>> are a sequence of elements
>>
>> The following patch makes the footnote search and
>> hence jumping to the footnote in that node succeed
>
> Thanks, your patch correctly fixes the bug, 

Thanks for confirming.

>                                             I recommend to commit it.

Done and closing the bug.

> BTW, if you are interested what I'm trying to do in bug#14670
> where I renamed the text property of footnotes from `link' to `shr-url'
> is to support shr-url links in Info.  The value of the text properly
> `shr-url' is the target of the link.  The problem is how to address
> a footnote?  Maybe add a function that finds a footnote.  But I'm afraid
> that supporting an arbitrary function on the text properly `shr-url'
> is too unsafe.  So `shr-url' should contain only a string.  The question
> is in what format to specify a link to a footnote.  Currently it has
> the value `t'.  Perhaps as a string it could contain a line number
> of the footnote like "(elisp) Using Interactive (line 42)".

Would that mean the link would have to be manually updated whenever the
line number of the footnote in the file changes?  If so, it seems
error-prone.  But I don't know the implementation, maybe that's not an
issue.  Otherwise, seems like an interesting idea.

Steve Berman