Subject: Re: bug#14688: 24.3; todo-show errors: wrong-type-argument and file-error
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 16:07:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:11:10 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:25:39 +0800 Leo Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-06-24 06:18 +0800, Stephen Berman wrote:
>>> The patch fixes some other problems beside those you reported, but which
>>> arise similarly.  I found them when I tried to reproduce your recipe.
>>> When I do exactly the above four steps in your recipe, I actually don't
>>> get the errors you reported and the category is displayed normally.
>>> However, if between steps 3 and 4 of your recipe I kill the buffer
>>> visiting the todo file, then I do get the errors.  But if I don't kill
>>> the buffer and also don't save it before trying to use other Todo mode
>>> commands, other problems arise.  The patch tries to avoid these problems
>>> as well as the ones you reported.
>>
>> The patch seems to work well. Thanks.
>
> Thanks for checking.  However, I'm convinced that the problem is more
> pervasive, and rather than tacking similar patches to each place in the
> code it can arise, I'd like to see if I can modularize the fix at least
> to some extent.  This may take a bit of time.

I've now committed a revised patch as part of revision 113288 and am
closing this bug.

This is more modular than my previous patch, and it also handles the
interaction with external file deletion in some other cases, but I
haven't had time to check all cases.  Still, I've committed it now since
it's better than the status quo.  (The revision also includes a new file
deletion command and also fixes several related bugs and does some code,
doc string and comment clean up.)

Steve Berman